Palemoon extremely slow

Started by DR M, January 25, 2020, 11:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR M

My Pale Moon is extremely slow the last months. Not always, but there are times I can't even open a site. I thought it was my internet connection, but I noticed that Edge has no issue.

I tried running it with no add-ons and in safe mode, but the problem is there. I also created a new profile and used it, but no change.

Any idea?
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

plodr

Sorry, no ideas. Palemoon continues to be the faster browser (in Windows) for me. That's why it continues to be my default browser.
I'll see if I can find any help at the Palemoon forum.
Chugging coffee and computing!

Corrine

The only thing I can think of is going to Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Network and under Cached Web Content, check the box to override managed cache management and limit cache to 250 MB. 

Satro is our resident Pale Moon expert so hopefully he will have a suggestion.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

satrow

Most likely a 3rd party software, probably security, that's treating Pale Moon differently than one of the mainstream browsers.

Decreasing the amount of cache is more likely to make matters worse, PM will need to use the 'net connection more.

Corrine

What is your recommendation for the cache?  I find I will frequently get "Not Responding" although it is generally in Facebook rather than other sites (the same 7 tabs open all day with others opened and then closed throughout the day).

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

DR M

Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

satrow

'Disabling' an AV is rarely enough to fully disable it, either control it by allowing PM full internet access or uninstall it during testing.

When we last tested it and decided on 350MB, that was felt to be a good compromise. Increasing it would benefit notebooks that are used on the road a lot, less might benefit super fast storage subsystems (NVME 1,500 MB/s +) combined with very high speed 'net connections.

Corrine

Thanks, satrow.  I definitely don't have a super fast storage subsystem on this old device so I've changed the cache limit to 350 and will see how that works. 

Something I saw when searching the Pale Moon forum was a post by Moonchild at https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20940&p=156868&hilit=cache+250#p156879:

QuoteIf you are a tab hoarder I strongly suggest you use Lull the Tabs (BarTab fork) to unload tabs you are not actively using after a certain amount of time. Doing so will reduce the amount of administration the browser has to do for open tabs and will also free resources of unloaded tabs for other uses.

I don't think 7 always open tabs counts as a "tab hoarder" but I frequently have so many closed tabs on the closed tabs list" that I have to use the arrow to access what I'm looking for.

satrow

I doubt that 7 always open or pinned tabs would warrant using a tab unloader ;)

DR M

Today, things are a bit better, at least now. But it's very possible the slowness to return suddenly and stay for the whole day. I can't understand what affects it so suddenly.
Grecian Geek

DR M

Ten minutes after my previous message, every action with PM became slow again. A restart fixed the issue for now.

Is it possible a process running be responsible for this? Is there a way to find out?

I only have opened PM and Thunderbird, plus Eset and MBAM which are my security programs.

Grecian Geek

satrow

It's possible that certain sites bog down PM even after closing their tabs - GMail is known for this and it's possible that other Google owned sites (or 3rd party sites emulating the latest Chrome non standards) might also have similar effects.

Maybe something in recent PM versions 'doesn't like' your hardware or running software, try using the latest PM 'Unstable', it will have mods and fixes added since the current Release went live.

DR M

So the suggestion is to wait for a fix?

Grecian Geek

satrow

A fix for what, exactly? Without doing some digging/testing the source could be almost anything.

Try the unstable build, it has later mods/fixes than the Release, it might already contain a 'fix', assuming that it's PM at fault.

DR M

I downloaded the unstable version (29) and it's rather ... strange see a red moon there!

What having this version means? Is it a version still in trying? I will notice about a future update?
Grecian Geek