Malwarebytes Browser Guard Discussion Thread

Started by Corrine, September 12, 2019, 04:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corrine

In case you missed it in the Pale Moon topic,
QuoteInstall JustOff's uBlock Origin Updater. This will automatically update uBlock Origin so that you will not have to repeat steps 1-4 in order to update the extension.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Pete!

Is it just me, or did Browser Guard just start blocking Microsoft's "Bing" (https://www.bing.com/) website for "may contain malware activity".
I'm using Firefox 75.0 (64 bit).

Pete!

Quote from: Pete! on April 16, 2020, 01:26:37 PM
Is it just me, or did Browser Guard just start blocking Microsoft's "Bing" (https://www.bing.com/) website for "may contain malware activity".
I'm using Firefox 75.0 (64 bit).

9:44 AM 4/16/20 - No longer being blocked.

pastywhitegurl

Is this extension recommended if you already have MalwareBytes Pro installed?

Also,  I   fired up Chrome a while back after not using it for a while, and Chrome had disabled MB browser guard along with a few other extensions it said it no longer recommended because they found malware in them.  The notice said the MB extension was disabled because it changed access requirements.  I haven't turned it back on yet, because I wondered if it was one of the suspect chrome store downloads and because maybe I'm already protected with MB Pro?

I think I added the MB browser guard extension to Chrome about a year ago, if that matters.

winchester73

Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

pastywhitegurl

Quote from: Corrine on September 28, 2019, 09:34:38 PM
As the description indicates, Malwarebytes Browser Guard is concentrating on blocking scams, malicious pop-ups, and preventing browser hijacking and browser lockers whereas uBlock is also blocking ads.

I know its an old topic, but wanted to  piggy back my question on Corrines quote above. If that was a bad idea, please split out to a new topic.

I'm using Ghostery on the new Edge browser.  (Not Ublock or Adblock)   Would adding MBAM browser guard be a good idea?  I was just offered it in the new MBAM update. I declined until I could ask about it here.

Corrine

From the website description, Ghostery "Block Ads, Stop Trackers, and Speed Up Websites".  Since that doesn't include scams, malicious pop-ups, browser hijacks/lockers, it would appear that it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.   

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

pastywhitegurl