The Recipe Thread:

Started by R-C, September 20, 2008, 09:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfeymole

Thus:

Turkey Madras

Get your Mrs to throw this together or just do it yourself.

Ingredients:
4 Good size turkey breast fillets.
6 cloves of garlic (well crushed and finely chopped)
4 large onions.
4 tbls of vinegar.
4 tbls of good soy sauce (Kikkomans or Blue Dragon)
2 tbls sun dried tomato puree.
2 tins plum (not chopped as they contain all the crap) tomato's chopped.
1/2 pound of mushrooms.
5 tspns good quality curry powder (preferably from an asian shop)
2 tspns chilli powder
4 birds eye chilli's chopped (or scotch bonnet if you want it to blow your head off)
3 tspns sugar
3 good sized spuds cut into ½" cubes.
4 tbls of sunflower oil.

Method:
Remove the membranes that run down the middle of the turkey fillets and cut into 1" chunks.
Combine the turkey pieces with 2 cloves of crushed garlic, 1 tbls of vinegar, 1 tbls oil, 1 tspn of curry powder, 1 tbls soy sauce and marinade for at least 24 hours.

I use a large wok but you can use a large frying pan, bear in mind the ingredients will be enough for 2 people for 2 days.

Chop the onions and chilli's and fry with the garlic together with 2 tbls of soy, 2 tbls vinegar and 1 tbls oil until tender then transfer to another pan for a bit.

The Roux
Combine the curry powder, chilli powder, tomato puree, sugar, remaining vinegar, soy and oil then fry for about 15 minutes on a low to medium heat, Add water if the roux thickens.

Finally
Add the onion/garlic mixture back to the wok together with the tinned tomato's, mushrooms and add the potatoe's.
Fry for about 15 minutes on a medium heat then fill the wok/pan with water, bring to the boil then simmer until the desired thickness is reached.
As we know Turkey/Chicken doesn't take 2 minutes to cook so I usually add the turkey after about 4 hours of simmering.
Usual cooking time is roughly 5 hours, this may seem like a long time but nothing that tastes good is rushed.

vger

Boston Baked Beans

Pans needed: Heavy lidded pot for slow cooking, such as a bean pot or a cast iron dutch oven; plus a medium to large sized bowl to prepare the spices. You may want to use an especially huge pot for this one! (But, be certain the pot will fit into your oven!)

1 large pork roast, pork shoulder, or any cut of meat for preparing pulled pork - weighing from 8 to 12 pounds
2 pounds Great Northern beans, dried (or navy beans if Great Northern isn't available) or can pork n beans.
8 ounces (1/2 pound) slab bacon, uncooked (sliced bacon can be used if you prefer) In this i used a previously cook ham.
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 and 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
12 ounces tomato paste
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons vinegar
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
The traditional method for preparing Boston baked beans requires a lot of time: the beans need to be soaked overnight, and when they've been prepared they will need to be baked, alongside and beneath the pork, in a 260 degree (Fahrenheit) oven for eight to ten hours.

Soak the beans overnight in water: in a plastic or glass bowl, pour in the beans and add enough water to cover the beans, plus at least an inch of extra water. A 12-hour soak does the job fine. Cover the beans with water to about two inches above the beans; cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and set it on your counter. Don't put the beans in the refrigerator; the cold air in the fridge keeps the beans from softening. If the beans soak too long, they spoil and smell terrible; which is why a 12-hour soak works just about right. (If you're worried about them contracting bacteria when soaking on the countertop, the 10 to 12 hour cook in the oven at 250 or 260 degrees will take care of that.) The beans will expand as they soak, which is why the additional water is needed. After soaking the beans, drain the bowl with a colander and reserve the soaking liquid, so that it can be re-used with the beans as vegetable (bean) broth.

Preheat your oven to 260 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice the bacon into small pieces or cubes. Peel and chop the onion.

In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, and cloves. (This mixture makes a decent barbecue sauce, as well!)

Arrange the beans in a cast iron dutch oven of at least 6 to 8 quart size. Spread a layer of beans across the bottom of the pot, then lay the bacon and onions on top. Cover the bacon an onions entirely with the remaining beans. Pour two-thirds of the baked bean sauce over the beans, and mix them all together. (Set the remaining sauce aside, for coating the pork roast.)

Pour in enough of the reserved bean water to fully cover the beans. plus a bit more. If there isn't enough bean water, make up the difference with tap water or chicken broth. It will look as though there is far too much liquid in the pot, but this will work fine.

Rinse off the pork roast, and pat it dry with paper towels. Place the pork roast into the pot, on top of the beans, with the fat cap facing UP on top. This will allow the fat to melt and meld into the meat and the beans; also, the excess fat will be easy to scrape off the top when the pork and beans have finished cooking. Pour the remaining the bean sauce over the top of the pork roast, and spread it all around to coat the surface of the roast.
Vger

vger

This was quite good,had it tonight... :thumbsup:

Quote from: Paddy on September 20, 2008, 11:39:49 PM
Beef & Guinness Stew Recipe
Ingredients
2 pounds lean stewing beef
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper and a pinch of cayenne
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)
2 tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
1-1/4 cups Guinness stout beer
2 cups carrots, cut into chunks
Sprig of thyme.

Instructions
Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, cut into cubes of 2 inches (5cm) and toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil.
Season the flour with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne. Toss the meat in the mixture.
Heat the remaining oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat.

Brown the meat on all sides. Add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole, and pour some of the Guinness into the frying pan.
Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan.

Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness; add the carrots and the thyme.
Stir, taste, and add a little more salt if necessary.
Cover with the lid of the casserole and simmer very gently until the meat is tender -- 2 to 3 hours.
The stew may be cooked on top of the stove or in a low oven at 300 degrees F.
Taste and correct the seasoning. Scatter with lots of chopped parsley.
Makes: 6 to 8 servings.

IRISH CHAMP

Wash and peel 3lbs of potatoes. Boil in a saucepan until fully cooked, then mash.
Wash and clean about 1doz spring onions, chop small and add to the mashed potatoes.
Mix onions well in to the mashed adding a little milk as you go along.
Season with salt and pepper. Add  a knob of butter to the centre... And eat.

IRISH COFFEE

In to a warm whiskey glass pour a jigger of Irish whiskey.
Add some strong black coffee up to ¾ full. Add plenty of sugar and stair until completely dissolved.
Top up with pure or whipped cream, pour gently over the back of a teaspoon do not stair.

Drink and enjoy...   :GRAFX:

numbnuts.. :)
Vger

techie

Throughout your travels, you tend to find things and one of my favorites is Hillbilly Hotdogs.

There is some variances, but the average best is pretty simple, a little work, but well worth it.

Of course you need hotdogs boiled or grilled and buns. I like grilled the best.

the sauce recipe

HILLBILLY HOT DOG SAUCE

1 lb. hamburger
1 1/2 c. water
1 can tomato paste
1 onion, cut fine
3/4 t. chile powder
1 t. salt

Cook hamburger, drain.
Mix hamburger with all ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes.
Hamburger should be very fine. Place over weiner in bun.
Add raw diced onions and mustard on top of the sauce. A true Hillbilly hotdog will have coleslaw as the last topping.

It is a no bean meat chili sauce.

It is really amazing how closed minded people are. Do you like hotdogs, do you like chilli, do you like onions, do you like coleslaw?

Hotdogs are kind of an area thing, with different toppings, depending on locations. The Coney dog I believe has chilli with beans, I know some areas use ketchup, mustard, onion and pickle relish. Some areas use chilli and cheese.

If I could just find a good recipe for curry-sauce, for some bratwurst. One of my favorites while in Germany currywurst.

Wolfeymole

Niecarrah

In these parts we would call that a "Texas" Hot Dog!
I can't know...?
NEVER LET BEING GOOD ENOUGH, BE GOOD ENOUGH!"

vger

Here in NC,we call that a hot dog all the way..
Vger

winchester73

Quote from: vger on April 14, 2015, 08:44:31 AM

Has Miller & Kasper really closed?
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

Corrine

It isn't a hot dog unless it is Zweigles, preferably a white hot.  Even better, a garbage plate!  Nice write-up at Hot Dog Of The Week: Zweigle's | Serious Eats.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

vger

Quote from: winchester73 on April 14, 2015, 04:54:05 PM
Quote from: vger on April 14, 2015, 08:44:31 AM

Has Miller & Kasper really closed?

Don't know never heard of it..
Vger

Niecarrah

I do love a Good 12" Hot Dog with a drizzle of ketchup and mound of coleslaw heavily peppered!   YUMmmm   Coleslaws' for this purpose in my neck of the woods, are slightly sweetened and uses vinegar too.
I can't know...?
NEVER LET BEING GOOD ENOUGH, BE GOOD ENOUGH!"

Wolfeymole

One day we may get round to talking about proper food.  :Hammys pint:

Ozzie

Thought I would post this since T-Day is going to be here soon.

Cranberry Sauce Grand Marnier

2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup Grand Marnier
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 275°F.

Mix ingredients well in a baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes or so. When the sauce is baked, remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Store, tightly covered, in the fridge until ready to serve.

Notes:  The larger amount of berries in the bigger pan takes longer to bake. Allow at least 3 hours.