Think I've been phished. Can't open exe files.

Started by lunchbox419, May 03, 2009, 07:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunchbox419

I think my computer has been phished. I can't open exe files at all. I tried to fun a exe fix I got from windows, but I can't even open that. It says "There are no more files". I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions/help?

GR@PH;<'S

lunchbox419,
The files listed below are ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry) file. I recomend that you  download the ZIP to your desktop open and Extract the REG file to your hard disk and double click it.
Answer yes to the import prompt. The  REG files can be viewed in Notepad.
Both of the REG files contains the default settings for the file extension indicated. 
For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!

NOTE
If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files.  To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager.  Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run).  This will open a Command Prompt window.  Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.

EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)
Folder Association Fix(Restore default associations for File Folders)

After doing that please can you download ATF Cleaner by Atribune . Save it to your Desktop.

Run ATF Cleaner
•Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
•Click Select All found at the bottom of the list.
•Click the Empty Selected button.
•Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
•Re-boot / Restart the computer.
Then try at least two if not more of these  On-line scans, Removing any items that are found
Panda
TrendMicro
Bit Defender
Kaspersky
Symantec
McAfee
CyberTechHelp
PC Pitstop
Stinger
Also please use one or both of  these Trojan scanners
a2
or download and try
TrojanHunter (Note Trojan Scanner 30 day Trial)
Once you have done that can you clear out your cache folder again ie: Run
CCleaner
(Note in CCleaner: go to >options > advanced > Uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours").
Now can you scan for Spy/Malware there are a number of programs that you can use for free Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is one of them that i recommend after running the program you can post the logfile here.

GR@PH;<'S   :Hammys pint:
press Enter then have a Brandy then if the problem is still there have another Brandy
Q: does it work
A: It does seem to for a few hours at least.