Lenovo laptop checkup and cleanup, please

Started by pastywhitegurl, July 18, 2022, 08:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pastywhitegurl

DR M

Hello.

Always make sure when you take screenshots of a File Explorer, the URL at the top to be shown. Otherwise we are making guessing about the location of a file.

Questions:

1. Do you use OneDrive? If yes, which folders would you like to be saved there?
2. Do you use OneNote?

Next instructions:

1. Double click on the OneDrive white cloud on the bottom right of the Taskbar. Take a screenshot of what you get.

2. Go to: Windows8_OS (C:) > Users > DeanZF1

2.1. Right click on the first OneDrive icon, select Settings and then Unlink this PC. Follow the prompts to complete the process.

2.2. Right click on the second OneDrive icon, select Settings and then Unlink this PC. Follow the prompts to complete the process.

3. RESTART.

4. Take a screenshot of a File Explorer with this path: Windows8_OS (C:) > Users > DeanZF1

In your next reply I would like to see (with this order):

1. Your replies to my questions about OneDrive and OneNote
2. Screenshot of what you got when you doubled click on the Taskbar OneDrive icon
3. After the Restart: Screenshot of a File Explorer with this path: Windows8_OS (C:) > Users > DeanZF1
4. After the Restart: Screenshot of your Taskbar

Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

pastywhitegurl

I do not use One Drive. I would be happy to disengage from it. I find it confusing.
I do not use One Note.

There was no settings option in the first OneCloud icon, but second one was successful in unlinking.  Also, Defender is alerting me to set up One Drive.That didn't happen on the last try.

DR M

Thank you.

Question:

1. Which OneDrive icon didn't give the option to unlink? The one showing as modified in 2015 or the other one?
Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

DR M

Another task for you to do:

For the OneDrive that you said there was no option for Unlink:

Right click on it, select Settings and let me see what you get.
Grecian Geek

pastywhitegurl

The 2015 OneDrive (first one) did not have the settings option in the right click.

When I go there again, the settings option is still not present.

Not sure if this is important, but I couldn't get to the folder with the file path you specified, but this worked:
C:\Users\DeanZF1
However, the  Windows8_OS (C:) was in the top bar so it seems I got to the right folder.

DR M

And can you please double click this folder and take a screenshot of what you get?
Grecian Geek

pastywhitegurl

DR M

I see.

1. Delete that old OneDrive folder.

2. Type OneDrive in the Search area, select the item appear. Follow the prompts about entering your Microsoft account's credentials and sign in to OneDrive.

3. Go here: Windows8_OS (C:) > Users > DeanZF1
and take a screenshot of what you see.
Grecian Geek

DR M

YES!

What is that folder OneDrive under the blue sky icon???

Double click to open it and give me another screenshot please.
Grecian Geek

pastywhitegurl

I did not enable OneDrive after signing in, but when I click the cloud icon in the taskbar it says my files are synced and up to date?

DR M

I was about to say "Finally!", but now this...

Double click on the blue sky icon now, and do the same. Give me a screenshot of what you get.
Grecian Geek

pastywhitegurl

Apparently, I can't leave the message body empty. :)

DR M

Let's remove those folders from syncing.

Go to the OneDrive icon on the Taskbar, click the little gear and then Settings. Click on the Choose folders option and un-tick Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Public.

After that, restart and give me two screenshots, the exact screenshots you gave me in your last 2 replies.
Grecian Geek