Black Screen at Startup on HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop

Started by CoryAR, July 09, 2023, 12:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoryAR

Basically what the title says. I can turn on the computer because the green light signaling the computer has been turned on comes on, but it just sits there on a black screen. Apparently, the keyboard doesn't work either because when I click the Caps Lock button the little green dot on the key doesn't come on. It just randomly started doing this, I don't think I even had a Windows update beforehand. I'm using Windows 11 Home.

Right now, the computer backing is off because we were trying to take the battery out and put it back in to see if that had any effect. The screws were hard to get off, particularly one of them that was kind of stripped, so that's why we left the backing off.

DR M

Hello, and welcome to LzD Forums!

Have you tried to check if you can sign in using Safe mode?

See here how to do this, for Windows 11 and for black or blank screen:
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

plodr

Do you ever see anything on the screen? I'm trying to determine if your graphics card/chip has died. You can attach the laptop to an external monitor or tv and see if you get any image on the other device.
Chugging coffee and computing!

CoryAR

Quote from: DR M on July 09, 2023, 08:31:43 AMHello, and welcome to LzD Forums!

Have you tried to check if you can sign in using Safe mode?

See here how to do this, for Windows 11 and for black or blank screen:
Thanks for the welcome!

Can you try and do this when the backing is off or does the backing need to be on in order to do this?

Quote from: plodr on July 09, 2023, 01:06:23 PMDo you ever see anything on the screen? I'm trying to determine if your graphics card/chip has died. You can attach the laptop to an external monitor or tv and see if you get any image on the other device.
Nothing pops up, not even a cursor, just a black screen.

I'm not quite sure how to attach the laptop to an external monitor.

plodr

What is the exact model of the HP Pavilion laptop? Once I know this, I can see what ports are on your laptop and tell you the exact cable you will need.

If you plan to attach it to the monitor, I also need to know the brand and model of monitor.
If you plan to attach it to a tv, I'll need to know the brand and model of that.
Chugging coffee and computing!

MikeW

Follow Dr M's suggestion try Safe mode.

It is not a graphics problem as you have stated your keyboard and mouse are not responding.
Win 11 Home MS Edge - WD - Mbam Pro

DR M

QuoteCan you try and do this when the backing is off or does the backing need to be on in order to do this?

If the computer starts without its back on, yes, you can try this.
Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."