Barely-sortof-kinda on the news

Started by Aaron Hulett, August 05, 2018, 02:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Hulett

QuoteFirefighters in Denton have a large brush fire under control after it burned up a drop-off recycling center Saturday, officials say.

The blaze started after 3 p.m., with black smoke that was visible from miles away.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Crews-Fight-Large-Brush-Fire-in-Denton-490070051.html

Now you know what I'm up to nowadays. :)

winchester73

They always say that the one who started the fire hangs around to watch the firefighters work to put it out  ???
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

Corrine

You aren't "certifiable" but you're most definitely Certified!  (How many now?)

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Aaron Hulett

How many? As far as badges, I'm at 4 right now:

• CERT - Community Emergency Response Team
  • ARES - Amateur Radio Emergency Service
  • MRC - Medical Reserve Corps
  • Rehab 701 - my county badge that's for serving on the firefighter rehab team

Regarding training/credentialing, several FEMA IS courses under the belt, along with a shelter management one from the Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service. I'm also a Basic Life Support instructor with American Heart Association (BLS, CPR, AED, First Aid...).

Tomorrow evening I start City of Lewisville Police Department's Citizens on Patrol program.

We had another fire event on Monday - news coverage was light but a short video was captured: https://dfw.cbslocal.com/video/3912413-raw-video-brush-fire-in-denton-county-burns-vehicles/

Corrine

Oops!  I forgot to follow-up here.  For as long as I've known you, you've been involved with ham radio.  In essence, if I'd boil down what you do is you are a first responder.  IOW, a hero in my eyes!

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Aaron Hulett

Honestly, I've not thought of myself as a first responder.

One day about a month or so ago, I was at the Burger King drive-thru, when at the window the radio went off with some fire going on somewhere, and the gentleman at the window asked about it and I gave details of what was happening and what I might do if I headed there (I didn't go to that one). He then thanked me for my service, and I thanked him for being so kind and appreciative.

I felt so weird. I'm not going into burning buildings, I'm not doing anything of that sort. I go and provide water, snacks, and monitoring for firefighters cycled out from the fire so they stay hydrated and get medical care if needed. If the need came up, I'd go search for a missing person, or search a building post-disaster event, or head down to Houston/etc. if something longer-term went on, but nothing on the level of 'major' risk-taking activities.

But then last Sunday evening (a week ago from today) dispatch jumped on the air pulling in a lot of resources on a structure fire at 9:39 PM, and I got up from the kitchen table, changed into my tactical pants (lots of pockets, can carry lots of supplies), waved goodbye to Pom, my sister-in-law, and my in-laws visiting from Thailand, went out the door and off to the fire, handing out water and snacks to firefighters, providing seating and watching for signs of medical issues as they rested, and getting sprayed by water while walking the scene (it flew up and over the building at me incidentally). The other rehab team member that went there with me and I stayed until 1:00 AM, pulling away when the last fire truck left the scene. We reset the emergency response vehicle and had it back at the emergency operations center ready for redeployment at 2:30. I walked in the door at 3, put the public safety radio in the charger, and went to bed.

And that's when I figured out, I actually am a first responder.

Corrine

You most certainly are, Aaron, especially putting together your CERT & MRC training.