EBAY FAKE EMAIL???

Started by DR M, July 12, 2016, 08:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR M

Good evening, LzD Friends!

I have just received an email from eBay (?) saying that after my request, I can reset my password. But I never asked for a password reset.

I got worried, because the name and the account I use, it's not mine (it belongs to a family member, and she knows it).

The email looks genuine and it uses the whole name of the account. If it's real, then someone used my email address to ask for a new password. If it's not real, how they know the name of the account?

I read somewhere that if such a message is not inside eBays messages in My eBay account, then it's fake. I got into my eBay account from my ipod, and there is not such a message in there.

So, I deleted the email received. Now, I'm looking for it, but I cannot find it in the deleted messages! It seems like it disappeared!

What do you think? Fake or not? And, fake or not, should I do something now?

Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

winchester73

I vote 'fake'

See this: http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/recognizing-spoof.html

If you find the email, you can submit it via the link in the above ^

Don’t ever answer an email that claims to be from eBay in your private email account.  Always go directly to the eBay website and log into your “My Messages” tab ... any correspondence from eBay will be in your “From eBay” box.
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

DR M

Quote from: winchester73 on July 12, 2016, 08:25:57 PM
I vote 'fake'

Hi, Winchester., and thank you for the link. I was a step from clicking on the link for the reset, but I didn't proceed. But I'm still wondering how they know the account name and the real name of the account??
Grecian Geek

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

DR M

Quote from: winchester73 on July 12, 2016, 08:25:57 PM

See this: http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/recognizing-spoof.html

If you find the email, you can submit it via the link in the above ^

I found the message (I'm still trying to learn Thunderbird email client) and sent it to the link above.
Grecian Geek