Scouting for a new computer, want some input

Started by pastywhitegurl, July 11, 2022, 07:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pastywhitegurl

I've just finished a cleanup process with Dr.M in the malware forum which fixed some corruption and cleaned out some bloat.  My 8 year old refurb Dell Optiplex 755 computer is now doing much better, especially after doubling my RAM to the max 8GB, thanks to Dr.M's suggestion.  (You can see my current computer specs in my signature link.) 

So it seems time now, since I can't update to Windows 11 with this machine, that I should start looking for a new one.

I'm happy with having a tower set up as my main computer and have a huge monitor that I love, so planning to replace this with something similar.

I'm not a gamer, but I do view videos and use video conferencing.  I also run music editing programs,  Photoshop and do photo editing. I sometimes work with  large files.

I want a computer powerful enough to  do the above with some extra room, so I don't get in the position of needing a RAM upgrade down the line like I did with this one.  I don't mind a refurb, as long as its reliable like this Dell has been.   

As for budget, I don't want to spend more than necessary, of course. I have a flexible budget.   But I have no idea of  what a good value would be in today's market for what would be an appropriate choice.

I'm interested in getting some thoughts on what brands/models are good, what might be a good fit for me, and what would be a reasonable price range for that.

Thanks for any responses!

Corrine

Sorry, I don't have any brand suggestions for you. I'm down to just a laptop these days.  From my old desktop, I do recall that I wasn't thrilled with the Nvidia GPU.  However, a lot of time has passed since I got that device.  You will want to do a lot of reading of reviews from reputable sites. That said, since you've had good luck with your Dell, perhaps you'll want to stick with that brand.

The main thing to keep in mind for as long as your PC continues working without issues is that there is no urgency to upgrade.  As DR M posted in your other thread:
QuoteYou can continue running with Windows 10 until 2025, when Microsoft will stop supporting this operating system with security updates.
So you have enough time to think about your new computer.  :)
and further explained at Windows 10 Home and Pro:

QuoteWindows 10 Home and Pro follows the Modern Lifecycle Policy.This applies to the following editions: Home, Pro, Pro Education, Pro for Workstations 

Important

Beginning with Windows 10, version 21H2 (the Windows 10 November 2021 Update), feature updates will be released annually in the second half of the year via the General Availability Channel. Go here to learn more. Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 release until October 14, 2025.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

pastywhitegurl

I like not having any immediate time pressure.   I also like the thought that I potentially have  up to 3 years to make a move before Windows 10 is no longer supported.   

I have a Kenmore refrigerator that is still working after 27 years and a move across the country. Has never needed any major repairs, even with ice and water in the door which is apparently almost unheard of.   It looks like I lucked out with the Dell  refurb computer too.  The bios date is 2008. Might just roll with it for a while.  ^_^

plodr

Since I'm now in my mid-70's and very rarely do any serious work on a computer, I only wanted something that would allow me to surf safely.
First I got an android tablet with a 10.1" screen that isn't much smaller than my laptop's screen. Last year I bought a chromebook with an 11.6" screen.
Since you do serious work, neither of those solutions would work for you.

My husband still uses an old Dell running XP, off the internet, that we saved from the trash heap. It is from around 2004. I also bought him a refurbed Dell so he'd have a Windows 7 computer to do his work on. It came with XP but I got a genuine Win 7 disk that has a refurbed designation on it and I got a key so I could install Windows 7. (We did have a licensed refurbisher in our area but they've since gone out of business.)

I'd probably look at Dell desktop refurbs that can run Windows 11. They'd probably come with Win 10 but could be upgraded to Windows 11.

As far as Kenmore, we just defrosted our upright freezer from June 1996. As long as it keeps running, we'll keep it. We know a newer one would be more efficient and not need defrosting but we're sure it wouldn't last as long either.
Chugging coffee and computing!

Hedon James

I don't know that any brand, per se, is a better choice than others, as many manufacturers make a good "line" at some point.  Although some manufacturers seem to have this happen more frequently than others.

With that said.....full disclaimer....I am a Linux user; but I often leave the Windows OEM installation in place as a "backup" OS.  I've never needed it (knock on wood), but it's nice to know a safety net is place.  It is my OPINION that you should look for hardware that is fully Linux compatible.  Not because I recommend that you switch to Linux, but because Linux-compatible USUALLY has a side effect of hardware that is friendly for open-source drivers; which typically means it is less likely to have some esoteric piece of hardware that was installed on the cheap, but when it fails, is very difficult to diagnose and/or fix.  So, IMO, open-source friendly hardware is beneficial to Windows users when it comes to keeping hardware and/or drivers current.  JMO...

Personally, I really like Lenovo hardware.  Especially their "Think" puters.....ThinkPads and ThinkCenters (not sure if you're looking for a desktop or laptop for your next machine).  I bought a refurb Lenovo ThinkCenter with 8GB RAM and AMD Ryzen5 with integrated graphics (Ryzen is an APU)on Amazon or E-bay for around $250.  It's a SFF (small form factor) desktop that is VESA mounted to my monitor, and I've been EXTREMELY pleased with it.  I don't game, or design graphics, or anything extremely CPU or GPU intensive....I'm a spreadsheet jockey, but it has plenty of grunt for my purposes.  I also have a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop with an I5(?) and 8GB RAM that I use for music recording in a home studio environment.  I've never "stuttered" that laptop, so it's been pretty impressive for its intended use also.  Even though I'm a linux guy, I only have Windows on these 2 machines.  When I was researching "linux compatible" machines, I learned that MANY Lenovos fit the criteria, and these 2 (Thinkpads & ThinkCenters) kept coming up in research, over & over.  Lenovo....big fan!

And FWIW, I've also had Dell desktops that performed well with Linux over the years.  Specifically the Vostro desktops (although they are Win7 era), and Optiplexes are plentiful right now, as they tend to be employed in corporate environments and are coming "off lease" and being replaced with newer series.  I'd buy a Dell again, under the right circumstances.

Lastly, HP has a LOT of linux-friendly offerings.  In fact, they're probably the most linux-friendly vendor that doesn't specifically cater to Linux.  Generally speaking, I'm not impressed with HPs "bloatware" policies, but their hardware has a broad base of support.  I've also installed Linux on some Acers and Asus products.  I've been happy with both, but Linux-friendly has tended to be hit or miss over the years.

With ALL that background, my PERSONAL OPINION of computer hardware preference, in order, is as follows:
Lenovo
Dell
HP
Asus
Acer

If we're talking about printers/scanners/AIO devices, I'll jump HP to the top of the list.  Nearly every device is Linux-friendly and suitably reliable.  Epson and Brother are right on their heels...let's call them options 2A & 2B.  I've used all 3, and been happy with all.  However, the BEST printer I ever had was a Dell Laserjet 3110cn, with the Dell Vostro desktop.  That thing was a BEAST, and just ran and ran.  Eventually I couldn't get cost-effective replacement parts for the consumables, such as fuser, drum, rollers, etc...  Now it looks like Dell has outsourced their printers/AIOs to Lexmark, and they are hit or miss.  Again, JMO.

Not my intent to tell you what you need to do.  Simply sharing MY personal experience, and resultant opinions developed from numerous hardware purchases over the past 20+ years.  If it's helpful for you....FANTASTIC.  If not...IGNORE.  Your money, your machine, your criteria.....YOUR decision!

DR M

I am in the process of searching for a new computer for my nephew who is ready for his University studies. I was surprised to see the prices for a computer that is not only for some internet surfing and Office works. For example, I wouldn't buy a computer with less than 8GB RAM and less than 512 GB storage.  Too much money. Perhaps the SSD instead of a HD now makes them more expensive? Something else? I don't know.

See for example:
https://www.public.cy/product/computers-and-software/laptops/laptop-asus-vivobook-15-k513ea-ej521w-intel-core-i5-1135g716gb512gb-ssdintel-iris-xe-graphics/1681038

Considering that my computer is 10 years old with a i7 processor (HD > 1T) and the price was similar then, I find it expensive.

As to the manufacturers, I mainly look for DELL and ASUS (from personal experience). Then, LENOVO.

Grecian Geek

"Count your blessings, remember your prayers..."

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars will be laughing when you look at the sky at night.. You, only you, will have stars that can laugh..."

pastywhitegurl

At this point, I'm not thinking of switching to a laptop.   I like the PC tower set up and my giant desktop Acer monitor.

I don't have any desire to use Linux at this point. 

But something that I just thought about is whether my other components will be compatible with something newer. My Xerox Workcentre 3215 printer is 5-6 years old now.  My camera, monitor and other components are all 12-15 years old. I might need to think about replacing everything.

I think I'd like at least 16GB RAM in whatever I buy, so I'm thinking thats going to cost me somewhere around $1000.   Machines with 32GB RAM seem to be going for $2-3000.   But since I was doing everything I needed to do (well barely) with 4 GB RAM, it seems like 16GB ought to be enough.   Am I thinking correctly about that?

Corrine

One thing to consider is that you can attach an external monitor to a laptop.  With that option, you may find that the better 32GB RAM option is within your budget.  (How to Connect Two Monitors to a Laptop)

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

xrobwx71

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPowerPC-Instant-Ship-GX-99143

I've purchased 3 laptops, 15 PC's from these guys for work and personal. I had one PC dead on arrival and they instantly replaced it.

plodr

Problem with a laptop, if you do a lot of video editing, it could run hot and if the video chip dies, you are sunk.
For the two things you do, I'd think you are better off with a desktop computer where you can replace parts.
Looks like your printer has Win 11 drivers
https://www.support.xerox.com/en-us/product/workcentre-3215/downloads?platform=win11&category=&language=&attributeId=

I suspect you won't have a problem with the monitor.
Chugging coffee and computing!

pastywhitegurl

Thanks for the info on my printer.   That would have been a major replacement.

And one reason a laptop was not appealing is that we have one in the house and it seems to always be hot when in use. So heat from intensive programs also being an issue is another down vote for  the laptop.

Thanks for the buying link, xrobwx71.  I will keep it on file.

I was at Costco this week and saw a Dell tower with 32GB RAM for $1100  with Win11
DDR4, I think.  I didn't write down other specs.  Not ready to buy anything yet, but wondering if this is a fair price.

winchester73

Quote from: pastywhitegurl on July 14, 2022, 07:22:32 PM
wondering if this is a fair price.

Hard to guess without knowing the model and specs  8)
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

Hedon James

Quote from: pastywhitegurl on July 13, 2022, 07:42:19 PM
At this point, I'm not thinking of switching to a laptop.   I like the PC tower set up and my giant desktop Acer monitor.

I don't have any desire to use Linux at this point. 

But something that I just thought about is whether my other components will be compatible with something newer. My Xerox Workcentre 3215 printer is 5-6 years old now.  My camera, monitor and other components are all 12-15 years old. I might need to think about replacing everything.

I think I'd like at least 16GB RAM in whatever I buy, so I'm thinking thats going to cost me somewhere around $1000.   Machines with 32GB RAM seem to be going for $2-3000.   But since I was doing everything I needed to do (well barely) with 4 GB RAM, it seems like 16GB ought to be enough.   Am I thinking correctly about that?

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that.  I'm just stating that, IMO, "linux-friendly" hardware seems to have a broader base of support and is therefore more reliable or, easier to troubleshoot when "stuff happens".  That's a benefit for ALL users, including Windows!  Considering that criteria should probably yield hardware choices that are more reliable, or at least easier to troubleshoot when bad stuff happens.  That's ALL I'm saying...

pastywhitegurl

Got it.  :)   Linux compatibility for reliability.

I actually did consider Linux when facing the end of life support for XP and my then computer could not be upgraded further.  Went as far as downloading one of the Mint versions and then some wonderful guy bought me the Dell Optiplex.

If you've encountered any of my computer problem threads  where I have the most basic confusions about my machine, you can see why Linux and I am not a good fit.  ^_^

Hedon James

Quote from: pastywhitegurl on July 15, 2022, 09:42:43 PM
Got it.  :)   Linux compatibility for reliability.

I actually did consider Linux when facing the end of life support for XP and my then computer could not be upgraded further.  Went as far as downloading one of the Mint versions and then some wonderful guy bought me the Dell Optiplex.

If you've encountered any of my computer problem threads  where I have the most basic confusions about my machine, you can see why Linux and I am not a good fit.  ^_^

It's probably a better fit than you realize, as many changes, upgrades & fixes have occurred since final days of WinXP.  I'll suggest it, even recommend it....but never push it.  I believe in the "right tool for the job", and sometimes the right tool IS Windows, or even Mac OSX.  I have both in Virtual Machines on my supremely stable & reliable Linux desktop.

I've learned over the years that people naturally gravitate to what they truly want (even if they don't know it).  If you WANT to get away from Windows, you find ways to make OSX or Linux work for you, which may include alternative software to do the job.  If you want to stay in the Windows family because it's familiar, tried & true for you, you MAY try linux out of curiousity, but you'll gravitate back to Windows (familiarity is often the main reason).

One of the main reasons I prefer Linux, besides the stability, is the "freedom of choice"; which i also interpret as the freedom to choose Windows, or OSX, or ChromeOS, or......

It's okay....you do you!   8)