WinPatrol Quick Scan in right-click context menu?

Started by Reely, March 17, 2016, 01:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Hello hewee,

There are a few GUIDs listed that are quite old. I would recommend manually removing WinPatrol using the following steps:

1.   Open WinPatrol Explorer by double-clicking on the taskbar icon
2.   Open the Startup Programs tab and right-click on WinPatrol PLUS
3.   Select “Remove”
4.   Close WinPatrol Explorer
5.   Right-click on the icon in the task bar and select “Exit WinPatrol” to stop it.
6.   Open Windows Explorer.
7.   Navigate to the installation folder.
a.   For versions prior to 32.0.2014.5, it will be c:\program files\BillPStudios\WinPatrol for 32 bit and c:\program files(x86)\BillPStudios\WinPatrol for 64 bit machines
b.   For version 32.0.2014.5, it will be c:\program files\Ruiware\WinPatrol for 32 bit and c:\program files(x86)\Ruiware\WinPatrol for 64 bit machines.
c.   Delete the contents of the WinPatrol folder. You will not be able to delete patrolpro.dll until after you reboot your computer.
8.   Run Regedit and remove the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BillP Studios
9.   Right click on any desktop or start menu entries and select Delete

After the above has been completed, you should be able to install WinPatrol fresh.

Let’s do the following to get you a clean installation of WinPatrol:
1.   Please make a note of any special settings you have in WinPatrol.
2.   Uninstall WinPatrol and if asked, answer Yes for removing all data.
3.   Open Windows Explorer.
4.   Navigate to the installation folder.
a.   It will be c:\program files\Ruiware\WinPatrol for 32 bit and c:\program files(x86)\Ruiware\WinPatrol for 64 bit machines.
b.   Delete the contents of the WinPatrol folder. You will not be able to delete patrolpro.dll until after you reboot your computer. Don’t worry about that file.
5.   Run Regedit and remove the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BillP Studios
6.   Right click on any desktop or start menu entries and select Delete

hewee

Only folder I have now is C:\Program Files\Ruiware\WinPatrol

Would not the export setting save all my setting for the rights given?

Now I have C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\BillP's WinPatrol Toolkit ONLY.

Guess I should also login to the Admin account so I can get get to the registry for all users because I got 3 total accounts.
Main Admin account I see only in safe mode.
Admin account
Limited account I use all the time

Will have to do this later Scott but thinks for the relpy.

hewee

Ok I did what you said but still have the same two trouble things going on.

Option "Windows Explorer Integration" does not do anything.

If I click the - button does not Minimize to taskbar but on top of it. Also with WinPatrol open and showing in the taskbar when you right click on it in the Taskbar all the options are gone so you do not see Restore, Minimize, Maximize, X Close  ALT+F4 but not showing clicking ALT+F4 still worked to close WinPatrol.

Scott

Thank you hewee for the update.

In regards to the minimize button for the WinPatrol UI, this behaves the same for me on my test machine. After speaking with Bret, this behavior is going to require some significant code change to have the minimize button for the WinPatrol UI to minimize into the tray icon instead of onto the top of the task bar. If you click the close window button [X], this will effectively minimize into the tray icon.

The option for 'Windows Explorer Integration' does work on my test system, but will only display as the following screenshot for executables only - this doesn't work for non-executable type files.

Also, if you haven't rebooted the computer after the reinstall, the right-click menu item may not be present until the system is rebooted.

hewee

Okay all is the same still but now the he option for 'Windows Explorer Integration' does work right at all.
Even on executables files some it does nothing at all like the "Installer for WinPatrol"
Others you get the installer warning like this image here.

I had it so it did not do anything after reinstall in first post it went away but now see it is back.

'Windows Explorer Integration' does work right all because it should take me to a website with info.

Scott

Quote from: hewee on May 05, 2016, 04:41:54 PM
Okay all is the same still but now the he option for 'Windows Explorer Integration' does work right at all.
Even on executables files some it does nothing at all like the "Installer for WinPatrol"
Others you get the installer warning like this image here.

I had it so it did not do anything after reinstall in first post it went away but now see it is back.

'Windows Explorer Integration' does work right all because it should take me to a website with info.

That is correct - that should bring up a page with more information on the executable, but after further review - this functionality from the right-click context menu does appear to be bugged. We'll get Bret to look into that going forward.

Thank you!

Corrine

With Windows Explorer Integration, right-clicking an .exe (it is also supposed to work on a .dll too but doesn't), it should take you to the "Ruiware WinPatrol PLUS Knowledge Base", just as if you right-clicked a file name from one of the WinPatrol tabs and selected "PLUS Information". Yes, it is, as you said Scott, "bugged".  :) 

From WinPatrol Features: Options:

Quote"Windows Explorer Integration"
When this option is checked a menu selection that says "WinPatrol PLUS Info..." is added when right-clicking on a file in Windows Explorer. The new menu item will only appear for .exe and .dll file types but will allow you to check out the information available without opening WinPatrol's main tabbed interface. This feature is available to WinPatrol PLUS members but free users will still receive the Community feedback data when available.

With regard to minimizing WinPatrol, the current behavior is correct.  Prior to January 2013, there was no minimize option for WinPatrol.  It could either be made full screen or you could click the X to close WinPatrol, at which time, it would settle back down the system tray.  However, if you were multi-tasking and as I frequently found myself doing, that meant repeated UAC prompts when relaunching WinPatrol.  As a result, Bill added the minimize feature that we have now and he added it because I asked!  See WinPatrol® 2013 Update, v26.1.2013.

Click the "-" minimize button to move WinPatrol Explorer out of the way as you conduct other tasks.
Click the Scotty icon in the task bar to relaunch WinPatrol Explorer.
Click the X to clock WinPatrol and it will remain on patrol in the systray as always.

@Scott:  You may not have seen the WinPatrol Removal Program.  Scroll down the page at http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html to find it.  Thinking about that program, for troubleshooting purposes, it is probably something else to add to the list for Bret to update since it probably hasn't been updated since change to the Ruiware folder. 

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

hewee

Thanks to both of you. So it seem just the "Windows Explorer Integration" is not working right. It used to I think worked on many files types just like you you put file name in the search box on the Plus Tab. It would bring up a page with info. and it not I think link or option to search Google.

Scott

I'll see if I can have Bret chime in for more information related to that feature.