Welcome, colin.p!

Started by Corrine, January 15, 2022, 07:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corrine

It appears that we have another member from Scot's joining us at LzD.  Welcome, collin.p!

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

xrobwx71

Welcome to LandzDown colin.p!

colin.p

Hi everyone. This is all new territory for me as I recently started testing windows waters again. The dizzying plethora of security "stuff" is a little overwhelming, but it does keep me out of the shopping malls reading up on it.

Corrine

What version of Windows and antivirus do you have installed?

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

colin.p

Windows 10 Home 21H2
Windows Defender: Configure Defender, Simple Windows Hardening, Run By Smartscreen, Windows Firewall Control. I also ran OO Shutup 10.

I remember back in my XP days having to run a bunch of things to make it fairly secure, but I want to keep win 10 as easy to use as possible and it can't get much easier than win defender. But truth be told, my computer needs are rather modest and I don't go to sketchy sites nearly as much as I used to.

I use Chrome for all my Google stuff (Gmail, photos, maps, search etc) and Firefox for everything else. Chrome only has uBlock Origin to block youtube ads, but I have Firefox fairly tight with DDG Search, uBlock Origin, and No Script.

I've been using linux (ubuntu) exclusively since 2008 but this last March, I bought a refurb from Newegg. I figured I had been away from win for awhile and needed a "new" computer. If I didn't like windows, I could always return to linux as all the rest of my motley crew of computers run a mix of ubuntu, Linux Lite, and Debian 11. I will hopefully keep win 10 at least until MS kicks it to the curb or until I get bored and turn this into another linux box, but I'm in no hurry. I could probably buy another refurb then, as there will likely lots of discarded machines that won't run 11, but should make crackin' good linux computers.

colin.p

I forgot to add that I use a standard user account for everyday usage instead of an admin account.

Corrine

I gather that the refurbished PC you purchased doesn't meet the qualifications for Windows 11.  (PC Health Check App, tutorial, How to Check if your Computer or Device is Windows 11 Compatible [UPDATED]).  Fortunately, Microsoft will continue to support Windows 10 until October 14, 2025.

As to Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, I agree that both are very good, although it wouldn't hurt to run an occasional check with the free version of Malwarebytes. 

Although I much prefer Microsoft Edge, uBlock Origin is my choice as well and it work great on Edge too.